Residents of Wasatch, Summit, and Utah counties, are you wondering how you’re going to pay next month’s rent, mortgage payment, or utility bill? People are getting back to work, and businesses are open, but COVID-19 is still wreaking havoc on the economy and population. The unemployment rate was at 11.1 percent in June—compared to 3.5 percent in February.

Many unemployed Utahns have survived the pandemic so far, with extra unemployment insurance provided by the CARES Act and state and federal eviction moratoriums. CARES funding runs out on July 31, though, and the state eviction order ended on May 15. So housing advocates are worried that more and more people won’t be able to pay housing costs and other bills.

“We’re expecting a rush in August because the CARES Act runs out,” says LoAn Le, family development program manager at Community Action Services and Food Bank.

If you live in Heber, Coalville, Provo, or anywhere else in Wasatch, Summit, or Utah counties, we may be able to help you. Here’s how we can help and what you need to do:

What We Offer

Emergency assistance is part of our mission at Community Action Services and Food Bank. We’ve offered food through our food pantries, emergency shelter and rent help, transportation, and more. Now, however, we have additional funding to help people during this economic crisis. With a portion of a state-wide, $4 million financial aid program, we can help more people struggling with bills. With the grant and other existing funding, we can assist people who

  • are struggling to pay rent,
  • need help making their mortgage payment,
  • can’t cover utilities,
  • need to pay a new housing deposit, and/or
  • are looking for emergency shelter.

All grants are based on income, but many use different measurements or thresholds.

How to Get Help

First, you must live in one of the three counties we serve: Summit, Wasatch, and Utah. That means we have funding to help people in Francis, Coalville, Spanish Fork, Goshen, Heber, and surrounding areas. Next, call us at (801) 691-5238 to make an appointment with one of our counselors. Before your appointment, do your best to gather all the information you can about your financial situation. That includes the following:

  • Pay stubs for the past three months
  • Employer verification that a job just started or ended
  • Bank statements
  • Notes from friends or family stating that they can or can’t help you
  • Proof of your housing situation
  • Lease information
  • Eviction notice
  • Landlord’s name, address, and phone number
  • Utility statement
  • History of rent or mortgage payments
  • Receipts from household expenses
  • Identification

“We try to make it as painless as possible,” Le says. Applicants only need to gather as much information as possible and submit the paperwork. Then, counselors or case managers do the rest.

Applicants can save time by completing the client intake form before their appointments and going through the four emergency rent forms linked here.

If you live in any part of Summit, Wasatch, or Utah counties and are struggling to pay rent or utilities, we may be able to help cover your housing or utility bills. Call (801) 691-5238 to make an appointment, then fill out the intake forms here before your meeting.